Slate roofing is prized for its beauty, longevity, and durability.
Slate has been used as a roofing material for centuries because of its beauty, longevity, and durability. While costlier than more traditional roofing materials, slate titles generally last up to five times longer than other roofing materials.
If you are in need of a new roof on your home and are looking for materials that will last a lifetime as well as add a distinctive appeal, you will want to consider slate roofing.
Consider the Benefits of Slate Roofing
There are two fundamental aspects that make slate the best roofing material – elegance and durability.
First, slate comes in a variety of natural colors and textures that create a beautiful and unique roof. Slate will enhance the appearance and value of any home or building. Second, slate is naturally rugged and tolerant to harsh weather and climates, making it very durable.
Apart from these two attributes, slate has a number of other benefits:
- Resistant to mold and fungas
- Waterproof – it does not absorb water
- Requires little maintenance
- Fireproof – it is non-combustible
- More durable than any man-made roofing materials
- Its weight and density are often structurally stabilizing
- Longevity – slate has been known to last for more than 100 years
- Increase the value of your home
There are variations in the color of slate, and you can find muted shades of green, red, and even purple. Gray is the primary color though, and is found in varying shades. Being a natural product, you should expect that the colors will change slightly over time due to constant exposure to the sun and other elements. This is a graceful ageing process that will only add to the slate roofs aesthetic appeal.
Slates tend to change color over time due to reactions with weather. Homeowners should decide between weathering, semi-weathering and non-weathering slates and slates that tend to fade over time.
What You Should Know About Slate Roofing
Slate is a long lasting roofing solution that exudes elegance like no other roofing material can.
If you are needing to replace your roof or if you need a roof installed on a brand new house, Duration Construction can help you determine what type of roof is best for your home.
There are a wide range of materials available to pick from. Because there are so many types, the decision can seem overwhelming. However, by determining your needs, budget and style, you can settle on one quite easily.
One premium option that stands above many is slate roofing. Slate is a long lasting roofing solution that exudes elegance like no other can. If you are looking for a stylish way to provide protection for your home, you can’t beat slate roofing.
Slate Roofing on Your Home
You have no doubt heard of slate, you know what it looks like but you may not know that much about it. If that is the case, here are some facts about slate roofs that may help you make a better decision:
- Slate is a fine-grained, metamorphic rock that is created by the alteration of shale or mudstone. It can contain a number of minerals including quartz, pyrite, hematite and others.
- Slate comes in a variety of colors. Although gray is the most commonly know, slate comes in green, grey, red, black, and purple.
- Slate is popular for a number of uses, including roofing, flagging and flooring, primarily because of its appearance and durability.
- Slate adds value and prestige to a home because it is long-lasting (typically 80 to 150 years), unique and provides optimal protection from the elements.
- Natural slate is a heavy material. In some cases we may need to add more support to a home’s roof frame in order to support the extra weight. However, we do have lighter weight options using natural slate. Please contact us for more information on this topic.
- Synthetic slate is a more economical option. It has a similar look but is a fraction of the weight and cost.
At Duration Construction we are experts at installing slate roofing on homes of any size. Unique and long lasting, slate roofing has what it takes to protect your home from torrential rains and Missouri snow storms. With our commitment to precision installation, a slate roof on your home will stand the test of time.
St. Louis Slate Roofing
The classic look of a slate roof will give your home a unique aesthetic appeal for decades. Call Duration Construction today to find out more about how a slate roof will give you the best possible protection and a high class look that cannot be matched.
Call us today at (314) 238-1357 or fill out our online contact form.