A copper roof or copper flashing can be installed on your roof to add value, appeal, and quality to your home.
One of the oldest materials used in human history is copper. Over the centuries as science and technology improved, copper became a primary building material, particularly on roofs. As a result, some of the most famous buildings in the world have copper roofs.
Homes and historic buildings in America that were built in the 1600’s and 1700’s have gone through a number of renovations, both external and internal. But the original copper roofs have remained intact and, except for cleaning and some touch-up’s, it can be said that copper roofs are almost indestructible.
Down to this day, copper roofs continue to be used. The age of many copper roofs is a testament that copper isn’t just a trend. In addition, copper roofs aren’t just beautiful but they are also very practical. It is a type of roofing material that will outlast the occupants as it’s life expectancy is hundreds of years.
What You Need to Know About Copper Roofs
The benefits of copper roofs are numerous. The reason why buildings and homes have been capped with it for hundreds of years is because there is no other material that compares with copper. Here are the main benefits of copper roofs:
- Low maintenance – they typically do not require any maintenance. Hosing down a copper roof to remove leaves, bird droppings, or other debris is sufficient.
- Durability – copper actually improves with age, which cannot be said of other roofing materials. It is extremely resistant to severe weather conditions, cold or hot. Over time, copper builds up a protective film that works as a shield.
- Aesthetic appeal – copper roofs are elegant. Copper has a curb appeal like no other material. Such visual appeal supports a higher real estate value. Purchasers realize the value they are receiving when purchasing a home with a copper roof.
- Cost-effectiveness – while copper roofs are more expensive initially when compared to other roofing materials, their long-term cost effectiveness is due to their longer life span. Materials like asphalt or wood shingles may last almost 25 years, copper will last for centuries.
- Lightweight – because copper is lightweight, the structural integrity of the roof such as trusses and rafters can be slimmer, cutting down on the overall construction cost of a home. In addition, when there is a heavy snowfall, copper roofs lessen the weight.
- Fireproofing – it takes a tremendous amount of heat to destroy or distort copper. Therefore, they are an excellent way to insure against your home or building catching fire from an adjacent structure.
- Environmentally friendly – copper is 100% natural and is completely recyclable. It is one of the top green building materials available.
- Copper flashing – a homeowner may decide that they only want part of their roof to be covered with copper and this is possible. Copper flashing can be installed around dormers, in valleys, chimneys, skylights, or in high-drainage areas of a roof line as an added protection.
St. Louis Copper Roofing
A copper roof installed by Duration Construction offers your home the strength and durability it needs to withstand harsh St. Louis weather. Copper roofing materials add beauty and character to St. Louis homes of all styles and sizes.
Our master craftsmen fabricate the finest copper standing seam roofs, copper cupolas, copper bay window roofs, copper flat seam roof, and custom ornamental copper details. We will recreate any type of existing copper detail that you need to complete everything from simple projects to historically accurate restoration projects.