How long your roof will last depends on several factors, including the quality of maintenance.
The roof of your house is designed to withstand heat, sunlight, rain, storms, snowfalls and other outside attacks. However, not all roofs are exposed to similar kinds of attacks; and the extent of the attack also varies. Your roof has to deal with extremely adverse weather conditions, including devastating storms, extreme temperatures, and heavy rain.
What Causes Damage to Shingles?
While you may not be able to prevent your roof from usual damages and leaks, you can delay the occurrence. Here are some common reasons why a roof decays.
- Heavy rain and snowfall: If your roof is more than 10 years old and has some cracked tiles or shingles, rain or snowfall can cause severe damage to your roof. Water can leak into your ceiling through the broken tiles and weaken the entire structure of the roof. Also, moisture may encourage mold growth and expedite deterioration.
- Heat: Direct sunlight on the roof in an extremely hot weather condition will only speed up the usual wear and tear of the roof.
- Wind: Constant exposure to winds can weaken the shingles of your roof and may eventually cause damage the structure of your roof.
- Hailstorm: The roof of a home is made of shingles, granules, and the other materials. Each of these materials helps secure the roof. When a hailstorm hits, it can dislocate some of the protective materials, causing the roof to weaken and making it more prone to further damages and leaks. For instance, if the granules of your roof are dislocated, your home gets exposed to the harmful UV rays.
- Trees: If there are branches of trees hanging over your roof, it may cause serious damage to roof shingles, resulting in a leaking roof or a damp roof.
Steps You Can Take
- Check the shingles: Exposure to heat, rain, winds and several other factors may cause the shingles of your roof to decay faster. One way to prevent this problem is to get the shingles inspected by roofing professionals at regular intervals. This is a good way to detect any signs of damage at the earliest, so that repairs can be done before it’s too late. Some common problems include cracking or loosening of the shingles.
- Keep your roof clean: Make sure there are no debris, twigs, and trashes piled up on the roof. Rainwater may accumulate in the debris and seep into the shingles of your roof, causing severe damage.
- Ensure proper ventilation in the attic: Without proper air circulation in the attic, your roof may be at risk of structural damage. This may also encourage mold growth and formation of ice dams.
Why Get Your St. Louis Roof Inspected Regularly?
A roof made of asphalt shingles can have a life span of around 30 years. However, how long your roof will last depends on several factors, including the quality of maintenance. You should not wait till you see signs of damage. It is better to get your roof inspected every year to check for any early signs of damage. Professional roofers can give you the right advice after a thorough inspection of your roof.
Call Duration Construction today at (314) 238-1357!